January 19, 2021
Coat: Kiel James Patrick, Sweater: Sezane, Jeans: Ralph Lauren, Boots: J.Crew (similar), Bag: Ralph Lauren c/o (old), Hat: Rag & Bone
January often feels like the Monday of the year, but I’ve learned that it doesn’t have to be. New England winters can be long and cold yet there are plenty of things to enjoy in the days and months ahead. Here are a few ways I’m making the most of winter in my free time:
- At the top of my list is simply getting outside. Time spent outdoors whether it’s for a walk, or sitting in a sunny spot of the yard watching Harry and the dogs play does wonders to lift my spirits. When I’m all bundled up I also find it the perfect time of year to hike. I actually prefer the cold to the heat when it comes to walking as long as I’m dressed appropriately.
- This time of year is perfect for organizing every nook and cranny of the house. If I have my way not a single messy drawer or closet will remain. The before and after is always so rewarding and it’s a great feeling to know where everything is.
- There is nothing better than reading by a cozy fire with a warm cup of tea, cat on my lap and pup by my feet. I just finished my friend Amy Bruni’s book Life with the Afterlife: 13 Truths I learned about Ghosts. It is an interesting read on her adventures as a professional ghost hunter. Up next Mexican Gothic and The Two Lives of Lydia Bird.
- Make plans for the future — this could be anything from future travel plans or in my case planning out our summer garden. I’m already mapping out what I want to grow and how I want to organize our garden this year. Having something to look forward to is always a positive force in the dead of winter.
- Try new recipes. I tend to cook the same things often or order take out depending on how busy we are. It’s fun to mix things up especially since so much time is spent at home these days.
- Arts & Crafts — my version of arts & crafts mostly includes making construction paper animal cutouts with Harry but it’s a fun way to spend an afternoon indoors with a toddler. If I had more time I would love to learn how to knit or hand-embroider.
- Printing out digital photos and creating family albums. It’s nice to have the convenience of accessing all of my photos through my phone or computer but nothing compares to a physical photo album. It’s been a really long time since I have printed any of our pictures and I would love to make this one of my top projects for this winter.
Post a Comment
We are in lockdown here in London and organizing photos is on my list! Same with backing up all of my hard drives!
xx KellySparkles and Shoes
Have you ever tried tapping Sugar Maple trees and then making syrup? It’s on the top of New England dream list.
Look at those cute dogs. It’s nice to go out and walk with them
Your style is always so perfect combo of classy and cozy 🙂
I have seen you wearing these brown suede leggings/pants in your instastories. Could you tell me where have you bought those? I would love to combine those with all of my KJP-sweaters.
Thank you so much! They are from J.McLaughlin.